Product Management OKRs Training
How to Measure Strategic Progress
This training skips the basics and generalized advice you can find anywhere else. Instead, it focuses on the practical and high-leverage aspects of using OKRs for Product Teams.
Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) can be a powerful tool for aligning Product Teams and helping them focus. But when the dogma of by-the-book definitions and process overhead get in the way, they become a necessary evil instead of an amplifier. Product Teams should focus on the usefulness of OKR Sets and integration with existing practices instead of correctness at all costs.
- Go from Product Strategy to quarterly OKRs
- Recognize Key Outcomes vs. Outputs and Lagging vs. Leading Key Results patterns when drafting OKRs and how to avoid the harmful Dogma of rigid Outcome-only focus
- Make sure your Product Roadmap complements your OKRs, instead of replacing them
- Draft and measure useful OKRs for different types of Product Teams: Whether it’s a high-traffic b2c or internal-facing product
- Integrate OKRs into the everyday decision-making of Product Discovery and Product Delivery
- And most of all, ensure that OKRs are actionable and valuable, not just on paper
- Measuring Product Strategy Choices
- OKR WHY Definition and OKR System Design
- OKR Drafting Setup and Facilitation
- Shifting from Output to Outcome OKRs
- Shifting from Lagging to Leading OKRs
- Theme-based Roadmaps
- Product Discovery OKRs
- Scrum Routine integrations of OKRs
For whom is this Training?
This workshop is relevant to individuals whether you already use OKRs in your company or are in the planning stages of adopting them.
- (Senior) Product Managers who want to stop copying & pasting backlog items and tasks into OKR tools and Excel spreadsheets for a “reporting meeting” with stakeholders and management
- Heads of Product and VPs of Product who want to make OKRs a helpful vehicle for communicating priorities and measuring progress for the teams in their area
- Product Operations Managers, OKR Experts, Scrum Masters, and Agile Coaches who want to support Product Teams with the adoption of OKRs
- UX and Engineering Product Team members who want to improve their capability to participate and influence goal-setting in their company
What’s included in your Ticket?
- Hands-on 1- or 2-day live training
- The opportunity to engage and discuss with fellow (aspiring) OKR practitioners
- Several practical examples and cases across industries and company sizes
- Plenty of opportunities to ask questions about the application in your context during the additional Office Hours
- Continued access to the Miro board, including all slides and exercises
- 10% discount on all of my self-paced courses to continue your connected learning journey
- Further reading recommendations
- A really good time ;)
Join an Upcoming Training
In-Person: Nov 7, 2023 in Cologne, Germany | 09:00 AM - 5:00 PM (GMT +1)
Reach out directly via firstname.lastname@example.org for custom in-house training options or check out my full services overview for more information.
What Others Have to Say
"With so many books and others resources available on the topic of OKRs, it’s difficult to know who to believe when it comes to how to get the best out of the framework. Tim’s OKRs education deliberately sets out not to teach you ‘best practice’, but to equip you with the knowledge and skills to understand the consequences of your choices, and to come to your own conclusion on what really is ‘best’ for you and your company. The content is easy to consume, really clear, and very informative. Implementing a successful system of OKRs is always going to be a journey, but this course will dramatically shorten its length."
Grant Turtle, Head Of Product Portfolio Planning at StepStone
- Two (2) or Three (3) consecutive days of 4.5-hour sessions via Zoom and Miro, including enough breaks to stay sharp the entire time.
- One (1) or Two (2) days of 8-hour sessions on-site
- Optional 30 minutes of office hours after each session.
Training Certificate and Continued Learning
- You can request a certificate of completion for your LinkedIn profile or as a PDF.
- You can continue your learning journey toward practical, Outcome-oriented practices through a 10% discount on my self-paced Product Strategy, Product OKRs, or Product Discovery course offerings.
Meet your Instructor, Tim Herbig
As a Product Management Coach and Consultant, Tim Herbig enables product teams to make more evidence-informed decisions in line with their strategic choices by connecting the dots of Product Strategy, OKRs, and Product Discovery.
For over 10 years, he has worked in various in-house and consulting roles as a Product Manager and Head of Product. I constantly challenged myself to make an evidence-informed way of working in industries like publishing, professional networking, and building Enterprise-level b2b SaaS applications. I know what it takes to balance large-scale product iterations with the scrappiness of a pre-Product-Market-Fit state.
He now helps product teams develop and implement better practices that help them progress in their context instead of chasing artificially created "best practices." I achieve that through hands-on training, coaching offerings, in-depth courses, and intriguing content.
Your Questions, Answered
This training is limited to a maximum of 25 attendees. This ensures that they are small enough to answer specific questions and big enough to have a sufficiently diverse group and engaging discussions.
We limit the number of employees from the same company to five attendees per course. This ensures a balanced class and avoids the specific challenges of one company dominating the discussions.
The on-site training doesn’t require any special equipment. You’ll receive your personal workbook for notetaking and completing the exercises.
The digital training uses Zoom and Miro to deliver the content and complete the exercises. You don’t need your accounts for this since all the links will be provided. But you have to ensure that your (work) computer allows the access to both tools. While Miro and Zoom work well in the browser, I recommend trying to install/use the native apps.
You will receive a pdf document containing the slides shown in training and references and links to books and articles. The used Miro board will also remain active, allowing you to revisit your exercise outputs. I share the links and resources after the course has taken place, usually on the next day.
If you are interested in having Tim teach one of his training formats for your organization, then please get in touch via email@example.com.
Yes, you can pay by invoice if paying by credit card is not an option for you. To do so, please contact me directly via firstname.lastname@example.org and share how many places you want to book. Please note that a place is guaranteed when the invoice has been settled.